My Happy Lil Family

My Happy Lil Family

Friday, January 23, 2009

I'm a big mush

I'm such a big mush! I have been wanting to write about the Inauguration, the speeches, the follow ups on tv....just haven't found the words! (or the time!)

I guess I never really realized I was patriotic. But looking at the mall that day got to me more than the speeches themselves. To see so many people, black,white, asian, hispanic, young, old.... all together....all so excited.... was just too much for me. I was teary all day long. And then I heard that there were NO arrests that day, which I thought was just pretty amazing.

The inaugural address just gave me chills. Some of my favorite parts:
On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.....We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.

and lastly:
For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

I guess more than anything I'm just so inspired by this new-found feeling of "we are all in this together". I love that people are feeling inspired to do things for others, to think of service, and the idea of pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps.

And on a much lighter note, I love the white-ish dress Michelle wore to the balls. And listening to Beyonce sing "At Last" (which is the song I originally wanted Tony and I to dance to) made me cry. It's one of my all time favorite love songs.

Anyway....life is good. Exams are over for Mason, report cards are almost done for me, I have a date with my husband tonight, I lost 3.6 lbs this week, and it was nice, and warm, and sunny today. Off to the gym before I go eat something disgustingly fattening tonight.....

No comments: